FAQ's: Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
What is SEO?
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is a powerful marketing channel wineries can use to drive traffic to their Vinebase-powered websites.
When deciding whether to show your website in response to a search, Google analyzes the following:
- Meaning of a query: What is the visitor looking for?
- Relevance of a webpage: Is this website likely to have the answer to the query
- Quality of content: Does this site “demonstrate expertise, authoritativeness, and trustworthiness on a given topic”?
- Usability of web pages: Does this site look and perform well for the device and connection they’re on?
- Context and settings: Is this site contextually relevant to the query? For example, If someone in Sonoma searches “minimal intervention wineries”, Google will prefer the content of wineries near them, rather than minimal intervention wineries in France.
While we can't always control what a user is searching for, there are some things we can do to be more likely to appear at the top of relevant queries. Things like high quality & relevant content, easy to understand site navigation, and high performing, responsive pages are all important aspects of SEO.
How does Vinebase think about SEO?
Vinebase tackles the two hardest parts of maintaining an SEO optimized website; keeping abreast of the latest updates and then implementing those changes.
As a winery with a Vinebase powered website, you don't have to worry about the technical, nitty-gritty details of SEO. We'll do all the monitoring, improving, and implementing updates for you. All you need to do is tell a great story.
What does Vinebase do to improve SEO?
Vinebase does a number of things to ensure your customers can easily discover you online. This includes but is not limited to:
- Giving wineries the opportunity to share their story along with important information about their winery such as information about their wines, vineyard, team members, press mentions, tastings, articles, and more
- Delivering top-notch technical SEO enhancements such as fast page loads, optimized images, secure transactions, and cross-device responsiveness on all consumer facing pages
- Assisting wineries with setting up Google My Business for wineries with a local presence
- Serving all web pages through HTTPS
- Optimizing every web page for Core Web Vitals
- Using structured data to automatically create Google Shopping Feeds
How can I check my site for SEO?
We check every winery website on Vinebase regularly against Google's Lighthouse tools.
If you'd like to check your site's SEO, we recommend Google's Web Dev tools. Just enter your URL and the tool will tell you how you're doing and any areas for improvement.
What can I do to rank my site higher?
Wineries can work to increase their rankings over time. There are a number of ways to do this and we've put together a separate guide outlining a few key things you can do to increase your rankings:
- Creating great content
- Making sure you're on "Google My Business" if you have a local presence
- Building backlinks